Monday, December 12, 2011

Risk versus Reward

Well a good Monday morning to everyone I certainly hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend as we continue our run up to the Christmas Holiday season.  Well I have to admit  I had a pretty lazy weekend and didn't do much as I just took some time off to rest up after a busy week on the fitness plan and this week should be even more active as we continue to add more to our plan.  But one thing I have to admit to all of you, is Saturday night I  decided to indulge in a tremendous craving I had for Chinese food and I know that it is a diet sin but I did it anyway not too over the top but not on the diet either if ya know what I mean.   But all of that really got me thinking about the decision making process that folks who try to live a reduced calorie diet and healthy lifestyle have to go through everyday.  For me each decision always comes down to Risk vs Reward what will I gain vs what will it cost me in the long run and nine times out of ten I always answer with it's just not worth it and pass it up and keep moving on.  But what is not so easy to quantify is the mental toll that all that saying no takes on one's life all of that being denied what we want really just becomes a real bummer after a while.  Yes I know that this kind of giving in is what leads 95 percent of all dieters down the path to failure and quitting but what I'm concerned with is us in the 5 percent  that can make it this far how do  we survive the craving's and the constant risk reward measurement, the constant bombardment of finding happiness in success on the plan or happiness in just getting what we want no matter how small.


Now I believe the answer as most answers lies somewhere in the middle somewhere deeply seated in the grey area's between to opposite choices.  The answers I have some up with are really to make a list of things that I have given up for good and will never go back to and stick with that no matter the situation and I have not had a problem with those items like soda's or juices or sweet snacks I don't eat them or don't want them.  For me the problems come from the things that are not what you would call healthy but are not things I would eat everyday or even every week,  like this weekend and my yearning for some General Tso's chicken now I decided since I had not had a cheat meal all week and had been the gym five times I would reward myself and risk the momentary setback of a single non diet meal.  But something else I can say for sure boy was it delightfully sinful and I savored every morsel of it to be sure egg roll , soup and all.


So what are the criteria for you when you have to make decisions everyday about what you choose to give in to and what you steadfastly avoid? Where do you draw the line. what is too bad, what can be forgiven and made up later?  These are all very difficult questions especially for us who are farther along the path towards the new selves we are searching for than those who are just starting up now.  But how do you make those decisions on what to eat and what to leave on the table without just going crazy. So let me know because we all need that kind of good advice  we all need the help to avoid those temptations and beat back those cravings and as I always say we are all in this together.


So it's another week and we are now sitting less than three weeks from the end of the year  that's how much time we have have left to accomplish the goal we have set out to beat this year. Me I'm still sitting here with just a few pounds left to lose  and working my butt off trying to make it happen.  But now I have resigned myself that if I get below 300 pounds when 2012 gets here great I would have achieved the goal but as long as I am giving it my all and retaining my sanity along the way I can be just as happen if when midnight of the 1st hits and I'm at 304  because I would have left it all on the field as they say.  So what's it going to be for you how close are you to your goals this year can you see them from here can you reach out and grab them before that clock strikes twelve.


So thanks for stopping back by today, I certainly appreciate each and everyone who takes timeout to read what I have to say if each one of us can just share this story with those in our lives who need that little push we can really get a great movement going to make 2012 the healthiest year yet. So start that ball rolling by sharing the blog on facebook by clicking the share button it is located right down next to the like button and this will share my blogs link to your wall so someone on your friends list might read it and join in on our path towards FIT. So everyone have a great Monday even on this gloomy wet day here in Florida and let's all take another step towards FIT.

2 comments:

  1. Don i'd like to say your doing amazing things in not only your life but others as well. You are a very big inspiration and i am very proud of you and what you have accomplished thus far. Even if you do not reach your intire goal come midnight on the new year, you should be very proud of ALL you have accomplished in this short period of time. Just keep up all the work and of course keep your goals to help you fight for more of getting to be a much healthier man so you can share more of your life with your wonderful and beautiful wife :) Just so you know, i am a fan of Donlad and you do give me inspiration to be a better person, so keep up all the hard work and even when you don't relize it or might not know, you may have touched someone's life in a very positive way. Keep it going,WE ARE ALL PROUD OF YOU DON !!!! Peace Out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joel I am really trying so hard to go after those goals but I realize all I can do is all I can do. Im so glad to have all of your support and I am trying really hard to turn all of my experiences into something positive for as many people as possible now because I have learned so much the last eight months. We miss you at the gym. you need to come by and work out with us sometime when you are in town. Thanks ... DON

    ReplyDelete